Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Hello, I'm Johnny Cash

Johnny Cash has the rare distinction of being one of the few inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Gospel Music Hall of Fame. Think about that for just a moment. What a remarkable achievement. It speaks volumes on the influence of Johnny Cash in the music world. With nearly 100 albums to his credit, Johnny Cash is one of the most prolific songwriter/performers in music.

Cash was an imposing figure dressed in black. His bass/baritone voice was captivating, even commanding. He was a rebel who was humble and had a kind heart.

A true paradox, both musically and characteristically.

At San Quentin was my first Johnny Cash album. It was actually another of my mom's albums, but I quickly confiscated it and played the hell out of it. The opening verse of the tune San Quentin blew me away:

San Quentin (Johnny Cash)

San Quentin, you've been livin' hell to me.
You've hosted me since nineteen sixty three.
I've seen 'em come and go and I've seen them die.
And long ago I stopped askin' why.

The song that sealed the deal for me, though, was A Boy Named Sue. I couldn't believe such a full story could be told in so little space. That may have been one of my earliest introductions to using the song form as a storytelling medium.

There are many other Johnny Cash tunes that caught my fancy over the years, some written by Johnny Cash and others written by someone else and performed at their best by Johnny. Ring of Fire, Green, Green Grass of Home, Folsom Prison Blues, and I Walk the Line are some fine examples. Give My Love to Rose, originally released on the Sings Hank Williams album in 1960, is another example of telling a complete story in song form.

Johnny Cash is typically considered a country legend, but in truth, he is one of the earliest rockabilly stars, he's an accomplished gospel singer, and he's even covered rock songs, particularly the song Hurt by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails. Absolutely haunting when handled by Cash.

And listen to the 1960 album Ride This Train. This is one of my favorite Johnny Cash albums ever, with spoken parts before each of the songs that tie them together. Basically a concept album before it was cool to do concept albums, and some of the spoken parts showcase elements of rap before rap was a musical term.

The last album Johnny Cash made before he passed away is the fourth album in his American series, American IV: The Man Comes Around. The album features several covers, including Hurt and The Eagles' Desperado. There are some guest backing vocal appearances on the record by several people, including Don Henley. In addition to the covers, there are stripped down re-workings of earlier Cash recordings as well, one of which is Give My Love to Rose. An album worth checking out.

NOTE: March 25th, 2014 a new CD by Johnny Cash is due out. The CD, Out Among the Stars, will feature all new recordings discovered in 2012. Out Among the Stars will be available at Amazon, iTunes, and various other musical outlets.

Johnny Cash was grounded in tradition and ahead of his time; a singer, songwriter, storyteller, and voice that will forever be etched upon our musical landscape.

3 comments:

  1. As you know, Carl, I absolutely loved Johnny Cash and saw him perform a number of times. Hard to say what song of his is my favorite, too many favorites. I loved to watch him sing Boy Named Sue, and Jackson with June. He was an entertainer, and a great talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been a huge Cash fan. I couldn't seem to get past the slurring "drunk" sound that accompanied most of his songs. However, this article really makes me want to listen to him again after learning about all of his accomplishments. You're a good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been a Johnny Cash fan. I agree with Anonymous about the slurring "drunk" sound of his voice. Even though I love the stories his songs tell and the messages he sends through them, hearing them once is always enough for me!

    ReplyDelete