Monday, January 6, 2014

Five Great Guitar Players

My five players aren't going to be your five players. You can argue any list I come up with and I can argue anything you come up with. A list like this can be based on personal preference, technical ability of the guitarists in question, or any number of other criteria. In the end, my list is mine and yours is yours, simple as that. Hell, I could create a list now (which I will do) and change my mind tomorrow. My list, you see, is subject to my changing moods.

Keep in mind, I'm talking primarily about rock guitar players here. There are guitarists in other genres of music that are equally important and equally talented.

Right now, putting myself on the spot, I'd have to say:

Scott Gorham (Thin Lizzy)
Rik Emmett (Triumph)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)
Alex Lifeson (Rush)
Jimmy Page (Led Zepplin)

Now let's examine my list in a little more detail. There are some glaring absences I'm sure some of you are already screaming about. Jimi Hendrix is a notable example.

I didn't base this list solely on technical ability. That's part of it, but I also took into account the influence each of these guitarists have had on other players, their creativity and originality, and my personal preferences.

And that's why Scott Gorham is at the top of the list. Thin Lizzy is my all-time favorite band, Scott Gorham has influenced many other guitarists, and he is a tasteful player. Those three points guaranteed him a spot on the list. Is he the most technically adept player around? No. Does that matter? No. To me, Scott is at the top of the list because he knows what to play and when to play it.

Rik Emmett plays with a great combination of technical ability and raw emotion. He's a melodic player who knows when to throw in the chaos, and he can play skillfully in a variety of styles.

Eddie Van Halen has to be included by default. The guitar players he influenced are too numerous to count. What Eddie did when he came on the scene was completely fresh.

Alex Lifeson is here because the guys from Rush are at the top of their game. If this was a list of top five bass players, Geddy Lee would be on it. If this was a list of top five drummers, Neil Peart would be here. The guys in Rush are on every list, simple as that. Alex Lifeson demonstrates his right to be here through sheer technical prowess, creativity, and his major influence on other guitarists.

No need to say much about Jimmy Page. The guy is phenomenal on a technical level, a creative level, and his influence on generations of guitar players just isn't up for debate. I think almost anyone who reads this will agree.

Now, if I had compiled this list with only my personal preferences in mind, I would have listed Ace Frehley instead of Eddie Van Halen. Whether Ace is an equal player to Eddie or not is subject to debate. They are two completely different players. Ace is a more pleasant player to me than Eddie. I like his sound better, his tone better, his note choices better.

And Jimmy Page, guitar god that he is, would've been replaced in favor of Angus Young. Is Angus a better player than Jimmy? Hell no. Not even close. On a technical level, Angus is lower on the totem pole than any of these guys, but he plays with raw emotion and pure instinct. I find that appealing.

NOTE: I added this after the original post, thanks to a guitar playing friend who I will also be interviewing later on. He pointed out that I left off Ted Nugent. Slap my ass silly, I did. And I love Nugent. Sometimes I think the wildman's personality overshadows his playing. Fact is, as Joe Metcalf pointed out, Ted doesn't get the respect he deserves as a guitarist. There were countless kids who grew up in the 70s who cut their teeth on Nugent and picked up the guitar because Uncle Ted showed them the way. He plays his ass off, has a distinctive style, nice note choices, knows how to milk a note for what it's worth, and certainly deserves a spot in this post. Thanks for reminding me, Joe.

There are other guitar players that could (and should) be on lists of great guitar players. Just think of some of the guys that have gone through Ozzy Osbourne's band. Randy Rhoads was off the charts. What would he be doing if he were still alive today? Jake E. Lee is another phenomenal player. What about Zakk Wylde?

You want more? Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Carlos Santana, Joe Satriani, and Eric Clapton. I feel almost ashamed I didn't mention Eric Clapton earlier. His phrasing, versatility, and commitment to the guitar make him one of the greats.

Keith Richards wasn't a great solo player, but is there a better rhythm guitarist anywhere? His sense of timing and his ability to choose the right chord voicing at the right moment are impeccable.

And then there's Chuck Berry and Les Paul, two guys who could be considered foundational in everything that has come after them.

I didn't title this blog post Top Guitar Players for a reason. There are too many top guitar players out there. I called it Five Great Guitar Players. I ended up listing more than that, and truth be told, I could keep going. I won't do that, though. I'll leave it up to you to post your comments. Tell me who you like on a personal level, who you feel should've been on this list, and who you believe I should've disregarded.

2 comments:

  1. Omar Rodriguez from Mars Volta is amazing. He is a magician in his live shows. He's big on improvising in a show like Page was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vincenzo. I will definitely check him out.

    ReplyDelete