Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Classic Album Covers

I've decided to do periodic posts showcasing some album covers. Some of these albums can still be purchased at Amazon on CD, eBay on CD or vinyl, iTunes as downloads, or in the rare used record stores that may still exist as brick and mortar stores or online. It is my hope that showing these album covers in small increments will remind you of albums long forgotten. I know I have rediscovered some bands and albums that I forgot about over the years. It's kind of cool to find an out-of-print album somewhere and get a deal on it or to find out something that was out of print is now re-issued and easy to get.

Let's get the party started. Here are some classics.

Highway to Hell
Like AC/DC's music, there's nothing fancy here, just a straight ahead rock 'n' roll album cover. Angus sort of steals the show, doesn't he? This is typically cited as one of their best covers.







Destroyer
Another easily recognizable cover. For the re-issued Destroyer, entitled Destroyer Resurrected, a slightly darker, more apocalyptic version of this painting was used (intended for the original release of Destroyer).







Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
How many music fans, whether a Beatles fan or not, do you imagine will recognize this cover? This is maybe the most iconic cover of all time. The Beatles were really on here, along with wax statues of themselves abd cardboard cut outs of everybody from Shirley Temple (twice) to Marlon Brando. Not one of my favorites but certainly a classic.




Slowhand
I've always liked this one. Nothing fancy. Very sparse, with focus on the guitar, Eric playing a G chord. Nice and simple. In the original vinyl edition of this album the full body of the guitar is seen when the record cover is opened up.





Appetite for Destruction
I thought this was one of the coolest covers ever when I first saw it. I didn't even know the band, but I was browsing in a record store one day and grabbed the CD because it looked so neat. Skeletons to represent the guys in the band. Great concept.






Bat out of Hell
This is one of the best. That kick-ass motorcycle busting from a grave (presumably escaping Hell). The drawing was done by Richard Corben. A fitting image for what is still one of my favorite albums.







Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975)
This image is doing double duty tonight. I just did a post about the content of this album. It is also an iconic cover. I think it's beautiful in its simplicity and I've always found the use of the few colors striking. I love the Eagle skull too.







There are so many album covers to choose from. I'll feature a few at a time and try to include some trivia about the ones I find. Maybe I'll even do some posts by category, such as ugliest, most recognizable, most disturbing, most controversial, etc. I think that'll be fun.

2 comments:

  1. The cover for Pink Floyd's Animals. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good one, Vincenzo. There is something very haunting about the starkness of that cover. Love the use of colors in it. It would make a great painting in a frame.

    ReplyDelete