Monday, August 4, 2014

Killer Dwarfs and Other Canadian Treasures

Canada has produced some rock 'n' roll treasures. Triumph and Rush come to mind, and course there's Bob and Doug McKenzie, who released an album called The Great White North in 1981 (okay, maybe they aren't a rock 'n' roll treasure, but they were pretty damn funny). Geddy Lee had a guest spot on the record, so maybe they're a rock 'n' roll treasure after all.

There are other bands I could talk about when it comes to Canadian treasures, but actually, I'm only here to talk about one an ass-kicking outfit called Killer Dwarfs. I discovered these bad asses in 1986 with the release of their album Stand Tall and a killer MTV (when MTV still meant something) video for what is still one of my favorite songs ever, Keep the Spirit Alive. I soon found out, upon listening to that album repeatedly, that these guys had more than one song in them, even if their singer did get kicked around in a box.

I quickly set out to buy all the Killer Dwarf albums I could. It wasn't long before I was able to purchase what was available. There's the 1983 self-titled album, full of the same great tunes I fell in love with on the Stand Tall album. I think I found that one at a record convention. Blistering rock 'n' roll that sounded like nothing else I'd ever heard. I love the tone of Russ's voice and the bombastic attack of Darrell's's drums. Both have been consistent since day one.

I grew to love Killer Dwarfs more and more with every fucking Dwarf album I added to my collection. I talked about them to everybody I could, spread the Dwarf gospel. Forget how big they got with the MTV exposure, I was sure I'd discovered this great new band and I wanted everybody to know about it. This was my damn band. Besides all the great traditional rock 'n' roll lyrics, these guys were intent on imparting a positive message that said you could accomplish anything you set your sights on, and because of that, I continued to pursue my own rock 'n' roll strategy.

Big Deal, Dirty Weapons, and Method to the Madness followed Stand Tall, each one as good as the last. Each of these albums is a masterpiece so I won't try and list a bunch of titles. Go out and buy them, you'll hear what I mean. You'll be addicted.

The Dwarfs disappeared for a while after Method to the Madness and a split with their label, but in 2002 the guys came back (with a slightly modified but just as awesome lineup) and gave us a brilliant live album called Reunion of Scribes. I found out about the return of Killer Dwarfs when I stumbled upon a Youtube video (you've got to watch it) of the guys in a casual rehearsal, joking, smoking, and playing the inspirational metal ballad Doesn't Matter.

Reunion of Scibes is an awesome show that shows the band never lost their edge. Recorded in an intimate club setting, listening to the album brings you right into the show. A great set list and lots of fucking energy. Absolutely amazing.

They followed the live album with a lost album called Start @ One. More great Dwarfs, and with the boys still kicking ass on the tour circuit, it looks like there's more to come. These guys are phenomenal on record, but you've got to see them live to appreciate all they have to offer.

Hopefully the future holds more Killer Dwarfs. This is a band I feared I would never hear new stuff from, and now that they're back, I hope it will be some time before they go away again.

No comments:

Post a Comment