Monday, August 4, 2014

Favorite David Lee Roth-Era Van Halen Album?

When I first heard Sammy Hagar was joining Van Halen I was pissed. I revolted. I said no way in hell will I ever support such a thing. I felt that way for a couple of reasons. First, I love Sammy Hagar. I didn't want him to be part of a band. I wanted solo Sammy. Second, I couldn't imagine Van Halen without Diamond Dave up front. I went to see David Lee Roth on his solo tour for the Eat 'Em and Smile album (which I also bought), but it took me a bit longer to get on board with Sammy and Van Halen. When I finally did, I realized how good they were together. It doesn't detract one bit from how awesome the Eat 'Em and Smile album is, though. I still listen to it today. With Steve Vai on guitar, Billy Sheehan on bass, Gregg Bissonette on drums, and David's sparkling personality, it couldn't lose. I've always said it could have been the next Van Halen album if Dave had stayed in the band, and it would have been a damn fine effort.

But let's talk about the albums Dave actually did with Van Halen. Which one is your favorite? I know Dave had a reunion with Van Halen, so for the record, I'm only talking about the first six Van Halen albums. Those are Van Halen, Van Halen II, Woman and Children First, Fair Warning, Diver Down, and 1984. That's what I consider official Davide Lee Roth-era Van Halen.

The order of my favorites is:

Van Halen
Van Halen II
Women and Children First
1984
Fair Warning
Diver Down.

Van Halen is a classic and just exploded on the scene with fresh intensity. It has to come first. With the foundation tunes Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, Runnin' with the Devil, and the cover of You Really Got Me, not to mention Jamie's Cryin' and the groundbreaking Eruption, this album is first almost by default. There's times I believe I like the second and third albums just as good as the first, but in the end, running them in order of release is best.

Van Halen II has Dance the Night Away, Somebody Get Me a Doctor, and D.O.A. Need I say more? Those are great tunes and the rest of the album stands the test of time.

Women and Children First features the brutal And the Cradle Will Rock as well as Everybody Wants Some, Take Your Whiskey Home, and Could This Be Magic? Just some really neat shit.

1984 could easily have been in the top three, but I wanted to give the first three records their due, so I'll keep this one where it is. Jump, Hot for Teacher, I'll Wait, and Panama -- the list goes on. The keyboards threw some fans off, but I loved the songs and the sound of this one.

Fair Warning is my sister's favorite. To me the album doesn't really have any strong tracks, but the sound is good and the songs are okay. There are times I'm in the mood for it.

Diver Down was just a lazy record. Yeah, the covers of Oh, Pretty Woman and Dancing in the Street were cool and Where Have All the Good Times Gone? wasn't bad, but none of these were enough to support an otherwise lackluster album. Just my opinion.

That's it for me. Leave yourcomments and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment