Thursday, October 30, 2014

John Mellencamp is straightforward on Plain Spoken

John Mellencamp has evolved logically and realistic on a songwriting and performance level since he took a walk on Chestnut Street and found himself caught up in some sort of incident. Not really sure what Mellencamp thinks of his material from way back then. I know I love everything he's ever done from every stage of his career. Simply put, from a songwriting and performing standpoint, this man can do, and has never done, anything wrong in my book. I love each of his albums for what they represent at the time they came out.

Plain Spoken is John's 22nd album and maybe the best of his career. I know that's taking a big leap because he's done some great stuff, but this album is truly a masterpiece. Reflective, honest, simple, and still catchy as hell. The first three tunes on the album, Troubled Man, Sometimes There's God, and Isolation of Mister are outstanding and set the tone for what is a highly addicting record. Seriously, I can't stop playing it. The Company of Cowards, Tears in Vain, and the social/political Lawless Times add to the beauty of this killer album.

The songs here are presented in a stripped down acoustic format, but don't let that deter you if this isn't your cup of tea. I love it, but some people feel that's a little too laid back. Well, guess what, not the case here. This is an inspiring album by an inspiring artist.

Mellencamp is ageing, sure, but throughout this album you realize he is the same guy that sang Authority Song, the same guy who has maybe rubbed folks the wrong way, the same guy who does it his way without compromise. That's the guy I love. Plain Spoken is the best record I've heard in a long time. If you've bought a concert ticket you already have this album because it came with the purchase. If you haven't heard it yet, I recommend you put it on your serious list of things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment