Friday, December 27, 2013

Time Is on Rod Stewart's Side

Rod Stewart is 68 years old. He just released his newest album, entitled Time, proving that time is on Rod Stewart's side for sure. At 68, Rod the Mod sounds as good as he did when he was 20. Seriously, this dude's voice doesn't change. Neither do his moves. If you have never liked Rod Stewart, you won't like the new album, but if you are, like me, a huge Rod Stewart fan, you're going to love this shit.

Time consists of 12 tracks (15 if you grab the deluxe version). It starts off with two uptempo tunes, She Makes Me Happy and Can't Stop Me Now, both with the classic Stewart bop reminiscent of his work in the 80s. If you're in the mood for the classic Rod Stewart sound from the 70s, Live the Life is closer to what you're looking for. If you're looking for Rod Stewart ballads, you'll find them in Pure Love and Love Has No Pride.

Some of the killer cuts for me are Finest Woman, Beautiful Morning, Can't Stop Me Now, She Makes Me Happy, and one of the bonus tracks, Legless.

I discovered Rod Stewart when there was still a.m. radio that played pop and rock. Songs like Maggie May, Mandolin Wind, and You Wear It Well were constantly rolling off my tongue. The album Foot Loose and Fancy Free, with Hot Legs and You're in My Heart (the Final Acclaim) was a staple for me, not to mention that wonderful ode to sexual delight, Tonight's the Night.

I followed Rod through his Do Ya Think I'm Sexy? days right into the 80s and 90s (where he recorded A Spanner in the Works, one of his most underrated and best albums ever, in my opinion). I'm still following Rod Stewart today. The guy is an entertainer of the highest caliber. Whatever song Rod sings, whether he wrote it, co-wrote it, had it written for him, or is just covering somebody's song, that song becomes a Rod Stewart song.

There's something about listening to Rod Stewart that always puts a smile on my face. The same when I see the guy perform. He's always been that good, and with the release of Time, he proves he still is.

No comments:

Post a Comment