Monday, December 30, 2013

A Rock and Roll Alternative

Remember eight track tapes? I do. Not really the best medium for delivering music, but when I was a lot younger than I am now, I got to drive my mom's Trans-Am. It had an eight track player in it. There was also an eight track of a wonderful album called A Rock and Roll Alternative by a killer band, the Atlanta Rhythm Section. I popped that eight track in and turned it up. What I heard changed my life. From that moment on, I've been an Atlanta Rhythm Section fan. I have purchased everything of theirs I could on every medium (minus eight track) that it's been available on.

The Atlanta Rhythm Section, or ARS, as they are often called, rock.

They are billed as a southern rock band, which is accurate in the sense that the guys are southern and their music reflects that, but there is more going on with this band than what you expect from a typical southern rock outfit. The Atlanta Rhythm Section have a sound all their own. Smooth as honey and hard as nails at the same time. They've been at this since 1970. They've got it down.

The classic lineup for me featured Ronnie Hammond on vocals, Barry Baily and J.R. Cobb on guitars, Dean Daughtry on keyboards, Paul Goddard on bass, and Robert Nix (who passed away in 2012) on drums. This lineup played together right up to the end of '78, when Robert Nix left the band and Roy Yeager joined.

There have been several lineup changes through the years. Ronnie (who unfortunately passed away in 2011) was almost always a part of the lineup, with an occasional missing in action status. Paul Goddard, a super bass player, left after 1981's Quinella and completely disappeared from the public view as far as I could tell. I did many Internet searches on him and turned up nothing. The good news is, Paul is back in the band, along with the original singer (yes, there was a singer before Ronnie, for the first album).

There has been a lot of great music from this band over the years. Those who took up the banner after original members (and Dean Daughtry who is original and has always been on board) left did a superb job. I am sorry for those members lost, but grateful to see the current lineup.

Now, on with the original intent of this post, a spotlight on my favorite Atlanta Rhythm Section album, A Rock and roll Alternative.

The album came out in 1976. The track list is as follows:

  1. "Sky High" (Buie, Daughtry, Hammond, Nix) – 5:17
  2. "Hitch-Hikers' Hero" (Buie, Nix) – 3:38
  3. "Don't Miss the Message" (Buie, Cobb, Nix) – 3:27
  4. "Georgia Rhythm" (Buie, Cobb, Nix) – 4:52
  5. "So In to You" (Buie, Daughtry, Nix) – 4:20
  6. "Outside Woman Blues" (Blind Joe Reynolds) – 4:53
  7. "Everybody Gotta Go" (Buie, Daughtry, Nix) – 4:10
  8. "Neon Nites" (Buie, Nix) – 3:57
The opening track, Sky High, is an uptempo rocker that sets the tone. It's about the joys of music and what it means to play for the fans. One of my favorite songs on the record.

So Into You was, of course, a massive hit and had that slinky groove and a sort of sex appeal that drove the ladies wild. It is still classic rock radio material today.

Other favorite tracks for me, Everybody Gotta Go, Neon Nights, and my all-time favorite ARS track, the one that really puts the ribbon on the package and sums up the band, Georgia Rhythm.

If you've never heard this band, start with this album and then work your way backward and forward. If you like good music, you can't do better than the Atlanta Rhythm Section.

No comments:

Post a Comment